How do I know if I need a Department of Ecology (also known as Ecology or DOE) Construction Stormwater General Permit (CSWGP)?

If your project will (1) disturb one or more acres of land and will discharge stormwater from the site or (2) is part of a larger common plan of development or sale that has disturbed or ultimately will disturb one or more acres of land and will discharge stormwater from the site; then coverage under a Washington State Department of Ecology (Ecology) Construction Stormwater General Permit (CSWGP) may be required.

  • Contact Ecology at (360) 407-6556 for information and to obtain a permit application form (called “Notice of Intent” or “NOI”) or apply online here
  • Application forms for the CSWGP are available to download here
  • The Ecology guidebook explaining the permit requirements can be found here

Please note:

  • City of Tacoma permit approval does not release the applicant from state or other permitting requirements.
  • To obtain Ecology CSWGP coverage, a public notice must be published at least once a week for two consecutive weeks with seven days between publications, in at least a single newspaper of general circulation in the county in which the construction is to take place.
  • Ecology cannot grant permit coverage sooner than the end of the 30-day public comment period, which begins on the date of the second public notice.
Posted by rgc on May 30, 2014 | FAQ Sections: On-Site Development and Right-Of-Way.
Translate »