How do I know if I need a Department of Ecology (also known as Ecology or DOE) Industrial Stormwater General Permit (ISPG)?

If your facility conducts industrial activities that discharge stormwater to a surface water body or to a storm sewer system, then it may require Coverage under a Washington State Department of Ecology (Ecology) Industrial Stormwater General Permit (ISGP).

  • Contact Ecology at (360) 407-6556 for information and to obtain a permit application form (called “Notice of Intent” or “NOI”) or download application forms here.
  • A list of the covered industrial activities is included in Table 1 of the permit available here.
  • For more Information about the ISGP requirements, refer to the Frequently Asked Questions fact sheet here.

Please note:

  • City approval does not release the applicant from state or other permitting requirements.
  • New facilities (beginning operations on or after the permit effective date of January 1, 2020) seeking permit coverage and existing facilities seeking modification of permit coverage are subject to public notice requirements, including a 30-day public comment period. Applicants must publish a public notice at least once a week for two consecutive weeks (with seven days between the two publications) in a single newspaper of general circulation in the county where the facility is located.
  • Ecology cannot grant or modify permit coverage earlier than the end of the 30-day public comment period which begins on the date of the second public notice.
Posted by rgc on May 30, 2014 | FAQ Sections: On-Site Development and Right-Of-Way.
Translate »